An Antique Marble Top Table is not only gorgeous and sophisticated in appearance, but it is also tough and long-lasting. In addition, each model’s natural material has a different finish. If you’re seeking the ideal marble table, look no further. Or perhaps you’d like to buy a marble table and resell it on the antique market?
You may have recently decided to use those old family heirlooms, but you’re not sure how to care for and maximize the use of your marble tables. All of these questions are answered here.
This article will give you the necessary tools to know more about marble tables, their value in the market, their benefits, and what are their criteria when buying one or keeping them over time so that it does not lose their value. Let us begin!
Table of Contents
Marble tables: what you should know
Because of their elegance and durability, marble tables have become increasingly popular in home décor. It’s a design element that’s also functional.
But how do you know which design to choose? At first glance, all marble tables seem unique due to their unique design. How do distinguish them? And what makes one better than another?
What are the different varieties of marble tables?
One of the best materials for building tables is a marble. As a result, the businesses provide new marble table models every day, while old versions remain relevant in the antique market. As a result, we’ve divided them into two categories based on where they can be put. This will help you whether you want to buy one or sell the one you already have because it’s crucial to know what you’ll be using it for before you sell or buy it.
- Interior marble tables are typically used in dining rooms, kitchens, and restrooms and come in neutral colors such as white or black.
- Outdoor marble tables are generally made of gray or white colored marble. It’s also frequently used to adorn patios and gardens.
What is the advantage of owning a marble table?
Marble is a popular furniture material, not only because of its aesthetic appeal but also because of its numerous advantages.
Strong and long-lasting. This material keeps its beautiful looks for a long period. Marble is a heat-resistant material.
Each marble table is one-of-a-kind. Even though they are composed of the same material, each marble table has a unique design. This is because it is a natural product. Each table model has its unique shape and color scheme.
It exudes elegance. It can be installed anywhere. Marble adds a level of elegance to your space that other materials may lack.
It is timeless. The material does not go out of style. If you are looking for something classic and elegant, a marble table is the best choice.
What are the many kinds of marble?
Marble tables come in a variety of designs, hues, and styles. This is due to the sort of marble used in the table. As a result, you must be aware of the various types of marble available to select the one that best meets your requirements.
- Carrara: White marble top. Of Italian origin, it is known worldwide for its high quality. Mainly indoors.
- Ivory: Cream. It is an exclusive natural stone, giving a sophisticated style. Interior and exterior.
- Marquina: Black. It has irregular white stripes. It is mostly used in bathrooms and kitchens.
- Portuguese Rose: Pink. May have gray and brown stripes. Indoors or outdoors.
- Marengo: Grey. It is extracted in Spain, characterized by its dark and compact tone. Mostly used in exterior pavements or interior floors.
- Emperor Brown: Brown. It is a dark color that is very easy to combine, there is also the light emperor, which offers a lighter brown tone. Indoors or outdoors.
What are the materials used to make a marble table’s legs?
Marble tables come in a variety of leg styles. Which has an impact on the table’s support and aesthetic. As a result, it’s critical to understand the many materials that can be used to construct the legs of a marble table.
Because of its durability, iron is commonly utilized in marble table legs. It’s easy to mix and match because the legs come in a variety of colors.
Wood is not commonly utilized in interior marble tables at the moment. However, if you want to go for a more natural aesthetic or if you want to add vintage marble tables to your décor or collection, this is a perfect alternative.
Metal gives a modern style when combined with marble. Care must be taken not to oxidize this material, as this will damage the design of the table. For Sellers, this material is widely used in Art Deco style pieces and they are very present in auction houses or online auctions for interested collectors.
The Criteria for Valuing Your Marble Table
A marble top table’s worth is determined by various aspects, including its condition, age, rarity, and material quality. Because they must also function as decorative items, size and style are important considerations when determining a price.
Quality, condition, and rarity all go hand in hand
Anything created of high-quality materials in the past is likely to keep its quality in subsequent ages. Keep in mind that when building a product that will last for a long time, you must choose high-quality materials.
There are tables from the 1700s and 1800s that sell for more than $100,000 now, but their materials were already of excellent quality at the time, and they were certainly already expensive tables when they first appeared on the market, but quality does not depreciate over time; on the contrary, it increases. The only consideration is how we will preserve the materials.
This is necessary to ensure that the piece retains its value.
Because marble is a sensitive material prone to staining, cracking, and chipping, we’ll provide a guide on how to care for marble in furniture later.
Remember that if your marble table has dried out and been damaged over time, its market value will undoubtedly decrease; the extent of the damage will determine the final price.
A table sold for more than 3 million pounds sterling in 2015. The marble table dated from the early 17th century and was exquisitely inlaid with semi-precious stones. The artwork gained a lot of value due to the four centuries of preservation.
And, while it is unlikely that we will come across this type of specimen or that we will have the funds to invest in one, it is useful to know what we might find in the market. Victorian Marble top tables, for example, are both common and valuable.
To give you an idea, you can get a Victorian-era marble table for $500 on the internet. If the table is in good condition, it is a reasonable and regular price.
Tables from the turn of the twentieth century are another form of table that has importance because of the era in which they were constructed. Today’s designers are looking for Art Deco-type artifacts to complement their designs, so these tables are in high demand. As a result, various marble tables are swiftly advertised and sold on the market.
It’s also worth emphasizing that they’ll be a touch less expensive, with numerous instances available for $250.
Type of Table
The type of table will also have a significant impact on the final value. In general, the table’s worth is determined by its size; the larger the table, the more expensive it is; nevertheless, additional characteristics add value to a marble table.
- The cheapest tables to buy are the night tables or an end table. These tables can be found for $10 or $20 at garage sales. However, you can generally find them in excellent shape and for under $200 on the internet vintage market.
- Console tables are also a popular choice for modern interior design. In internet retailers, you may purchase these types of products for $300 to $800, but there are also far finer variants that have sold for more than $2,000.
- A marble coffee table and living room tables are very popular, with prices ranging from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. You must be thorough when writing this type of post because there are a lot of variabilities and they are the ones with the most pricing changes.
- One of the most attractive and costly products is a dining table with a marble surface. They are the most unusual on the market, yet they rarely sell for less than a few thousand dollars, depending on their condition, width, and depth.
Criteria to take into account to buy
We usually pay all our attention to the top of the table, however, it is advisable to check the joints of the top with the base of the table. You must make sure that the base is solid and can provide good support to the marble.
Marble is an element that deteriorates over the years, and much more has been in the hands of someone who has not known how to take care of it. Look for cracks, stains, or chips in the marble. It is to be expected that an antique has wear, but you must make sure that this wear has not compromised the entire piece.
Another very useful tip is to coordinate with the store where you are going to buy the piece so that they are the ones who are responsible for the transfer of the piece. Marble is a very easy material to damage and experts are required for it. That is why it is better to let the professionals do their job and thus ensure that your piece does not lose value if it suffers an accident while in transit.
How do you keep a marble table in good condition?
Marble is, without a doubt, a fragile substance. A marble table requires special maintenance to keep it in good condition. Following that, we’ll give you some pointers on how to preserve a marble table in good shape.
- If you’re going to lay glasses or plates on the marble table, coasters and saucers are essential. This helps to maintain its beautiful looks and prevents cracks.
- Any spills should be cleaned up right away. Some foods contain acidic substances, and these liquids can destroy the marble base forever.
- Drinks should be handled with caution. The marble can be stained by colored soft drinks, wine, or coffee.
- Cleaning the surface with normal warm water, particularly distilled water, and a soft cloth can make a significant difference. Add a few drops of mild dish soap if it needs a boost.
- Coffee or tea stains can be cleaned with a hydrogen peroxide solution. Try to make a paste of hydrogen peroxide and flour, enough to spread over the entire surface. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for a day or two.
- You may pass suede over it to make it shine.
What is the value of an antique marble table?
Marble tables come in a wide range of costs. You may purchase copies for under $200 and they can cost thousands of dollars; copies in good condition and those are quite ancient can be worth millions of dollars. Here are 5 marble tables that are now for sale on the market so that you can get an idea of the prices. We recommend you to visit online stores like eBay or Etsy for more info.
- Neo-Gothic Wrought Iron & Marble Console Table with Crest – France – Circa 1850 — US $150,000.00
- 18th century Italian Demilune Marble top painted Console table — the US $7,900.00
- RARE CIRCA 1820 REGENCY ORNATELY CAST ITALIAN BRASS SIDE TABLE SPECIMEN MARBLE — £3,750.00
- Table Round Iron Small Table With Level IN Marble Inlaid Furniture Vintage — $4,714.32
- ANGLO INDIAN EXPORT ROSEWOOD ELEPHANT INLAID SIDE LAMP END WINE TABLE FLOWERS — US $599.19
Are marble tables durable?
If you know how to care for marble tables properly, they will last a long time. Because most marble tables are made up of multiple elements, such as wood or metal, it is critical to understand not just how to care for marble, but also how to care for the other materials that make up the marble table. When it comes to determining a price for an antique item, its condition is critical.
We hope that this comprehensive guide to what marble tables are, the various styles and functions, as well as a guide to their market prices and the basic criteria for determining their value, has provided you with the basic knowledge that you will require if you are considering purchasing one of these objects or selling an older piece that you own.
Remember that the antiquities market is a large universe in which information is one of the most important aspects of the business, If you want to become a buyer or seller, do your homework before making any purchases or sales.